Countdown to Brexit – What you need to know about your cover for driving in Europe and Green Cards

Countdown to Brexit – What you need to know about your cover for driving in Europe and Green Cards

As a consequence of the decision to leave the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ends on 31st December 2020.

This comes at a time when many of you will already be thinking of when you will be able to travel again, and possibly looking to take your vehicle abroad in the new year. So where do you stand?

Irrespective of whether there is an agreement between the UK and the EU, there will be a legal requirement to carry extra documentation known as a Green Card when driving in Europe when the transition period ends. In the event that the transition period is extended, the requirement to carry a Green Card may also be deferred as it has been previously.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an internationally recognised insurance document that proves you have the minimum level of cover for third party property damage and personal injury in countries that are part of the Green Card system. It isn’t evidence of your full policy.


Why do I need a Green Card?

The legal requirement is that any UK motorist who wishes to drive their vehicle outside the UK at the conclusion of the transition period must carry a Green Card if they are travelling in the European Economic Area (EEA) along with Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland, to provide the necessary proof of insurance.

A standard motor insurance certificate will no longer be sufficient to prove your vehicle is insured.

If you intend to tow a trailer or a caravan, you will need a separate Green Card for both the trailer and the towing vehicle.

If you do attempt to drive in the EU without holding a Green Card, you may be accused of driving without insurance and could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seizes or prosecution.


What about my existing insurance policy certificate?

If travelling in the EU from 1st January 2021 you will need to take a copy of the insurance cover as evidence alongside your Green Card. Premier Insurance Centre will liaise with insurer’s for their confirmation/advice on this going forward.


What other documentation will I need?

Drivers with a UK driving licence travelling in the EU and EEA Countries may also need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

How do I get a green card?

If you plan to take your vehicle into any of the countries mentioned above after 1st January 2021, contact our friendly Personal Insurance team at Premier Insurance Centre. We will be happy to talk to you about your cover, liaise with your insurer on your behalf to provide you with your Green Card and send you away on a trouble-free trip.

Call Premier Insurance Centre today on 01606 863400